Why Choose a Cementitious Urethane Slurry System for a Commercial Kitchen?
Cementitious Urethane Slurry Floor Systems are often chosen for use in commercial kitchens. These areas are typically exposed to harsh conditions such as; heavy traffic, frequent hot wash downs, chemical cleaners, degreasers, and spills. There are several key characteristics that a Urethane Slurry System possesses, making them a great choice for floor applications in commercial kitchen.
- Sanitary, Hygienic: Maintaining a sanitary, hygienic environment in the food processing industry is especially critical today. Cementitious Urethane Slurry systems can be easily cleaned and quickly sanitized. These seamless floor systems eliminate grout lines where bacteria often grows. Additionally, the use of a Urethane Slurry Cove Base product can create a seamless floor to wall transition. Cementitious Urethane Slurry Systems are commonly used to meet sanitation requirements of USDA, FDA, local, and regional health codes.
- Thermal Shock Resistant: Commercial kitchens are exposed to heavy wash downs, hot spills, and harsh cleaners. Cementitious Urethane Slurry Systems can withstand heat up to 200 degrees F. For maximum thermal shock resistance, use a Urethane Slurry Topcoat.
- Chemical Resistant: Floors in the food processing industry are subject to harsh chemical cleaners and degreasers. Urethane Slurry systems provide excellent chemical resistance and will stand up to these aggressive cleaners.
- Slip Resistance: Falls and slips are a major safety concern for restaurant and business owners. Slip resistant surfaces can be created in Urethane Slurry Systems by broadcasting an industrial sand into topcoat. Light to aggressive textures can be created depending on the client’s needs.
- Durable: In fast paced kitchens, floors are exposed to heavy foot traffic, abuse from dollies, carts, equipment, hot oil exposure and spills. Urethane Slurry systems offer excellent durability, impact, and abrasion resistance and can stand up in these environments.
- Low Odor Application: Strong solvent odors can create issues for customers and staff in restaurants. Cementitious Urethane Slurry systems provide low odor, quick application solutions.
- Attractive: When an attractive, visually appealing floor is desired, decorative quartz can be used within the Urethane Slurry Systems. Decorative quartz provides a variety of colors and blends to create a more aesthetically appealing substrate.
- Moisture Tolerance: In commercial kitchens, moisture comes from sources within the kitchen itself, as well as moisture vapor transmission from the concrete below. The floor system chosen for a commercial kitchen should be moisture tolerant, and moisture vapor issues in the concrete should be addressed. As with most epoxy/urethane coatings systems, Cementitious Urethane Slurry Systems are moisture tolerant. Additionally, NPI’s Water Based Urethane Slurry formulation is resistant to MVT. Therefore, no additional MVT primers will be required.
- Sloping/Water Drainage: Trowel applied Water Based Cement Urethane Mortar formulations are available for use when there is a need to pitch the floor toward a drain. This can help prevent pooling water, and allow easier cleaning.
- Easy Repairs: The trowel applied Urethane Mortar versions can also be used for quick, easy repairs in commercial kitchens. Quick repairs are often necessary to prevent extended shut downs.
As always, it is important to get a clear understanding of your customer's needs before recommending any flooring system.
To find out more about these systems download NPI’s Urethane Mortar/Slurry product comparison guide.
Download this helpful Urethane Mortar Slurry product comparison today!