Commercial kitchen floors are often exposed to heavy and abusive service. In restaurant and commercial kitchen environments, a floor system that can stand up to these harsh conditions needs to be applied. Cementitious Urethane Slurry Floor Systems are commonly used on commercial kitchen floors. Exposures such as; heavy traffic, frequent hot wash downs, chemical cleaners, degreasers, and spills are often common for commercial kitchen floors. There are several key characteristics that a Urethane Slurry Floor System possesses, making them a great choice for applications on commercial kitchen and restaurants floors.
- Sanitary, Hygienic: Maintaining a sanitary, hygienic environment in the food processing industry is especially critical today. Cementitious Urethane Slurry floor systems can be easily cleaned and quickly sanitized, making them an ideal choose for busy restaurants and commercial kitchens. These seamless floor systems eliminate grout lines where bacteria often grows. Additionally, the use of a Urethane Slurry Cove Base product can create a seamless floor to wall transition. Cementitious Urethane Slurry Systems are commonly used on restaurant floors and in food processing areas to meet sanitation requirements of USDA, FDA, local, and regional health codes.
- Thermal Shock Resistant: Commercial kitchen floors are exposed to heavy wash downs, hot spills, and harsh cleaners. Because Cementitious Urethane Slurry Systems can withstand heat up to 200 degrees F, they may last longer than other restaurant and commercial kitchen floor systems. For maximum thermal shock resistance, use a Urethane Slurry Topcoat.
- Chemical Resistant: Floors in the food processing industry are subject to harsh chemical cleaners and degreasers. Urethane Slurry systems provide excellent chemical resistance and will stand up to these aggressive cleaners that are often used on commercial kitchen floors.
- Slip Resistance: Falls and slips are a major safety concern for restaurant and business owners. Slip resistant surfaces can be created in Urethane Slurry Systems by broadcasting an industrial sand into topcoat. Light to aggressive textures can be created depending on the client’s needs. For commercial kitchen floors, its crucial that during busy times the floor surface doesn't create a slippery, unsafe area. Wait staff, cooks, and other employees move quickly in and out of the kitchen, so a slip resistant floor surface is vital to keep these workers safe.
- Durable: In fast paced kitchens, floors are exposed to heavy foot traffic, abuse from dollies, carts, equipment, hot oil exposure and spills. Urethane Slurry systems offer excellent durability, impact, and abrasion resistance and can stand up to the heavy and abusive service that kitchen floors are exposed to.
- Low Odor Application: Strong solvent odors can create issues for customers and staff in restaurants. When installing a floor system in a commercial kitchen, it is important to consider that some areas of the restaurant may still be operational. For commercial kitchen flooring, a low odor floor system is ideal. Cementitious Urethane Slurry systems provide low odor, quick application solutions.
- Attractive: In some instances, a restaurant floor needs to be not only durable, but visually appealing as well. When an attractive, visually appealing floor is desired, decorative quartz can be used within the Urethane Slurry System. Decorative quartz provides a variety of colors and blends to create a more aesthetically appealing commercial kitchen floor.
- Moisture Tolerance: In commercial kitchens, moisture comes from sources within the kitchen itself, as well as moisture vapor transmission from the concrete below. The floor system chosen for a commercial kitchen floor should be moisture tolerant, and moisture vapor issues in the concrete should be addressed. As with most epoxy/urethane coating floor systems, Cementitious Urethane Slurry Floor Systems are moisture tolerant. Additionally, NPI’s Water Based Urethane Slurry formulation is resistant to MVT. Therefore, no additional MVT primers will be required.
- Sloping/Water Drainage: Trowel applied Water Based Cement Urethane Mortar formulations are available for use when there is a need to pitch the kitchen floor toward a drain. This can help prevent pooling water, and allow easier cleaning in commercial kitchen areas.
- Easy Repairs: The trowel applied Urethane Mortar versions can also be used for quick, easy repairs in commercial kitchens. Quick repairs are often necessary on restaurant and commercial kitchen floors to prevent extended shut downs.
As always, it is important to get a clear understanding of your customer's needs before recommending any flooring system.
To find out more about these systems for commercial kitchen floors download NPI’s Urethane Mortar/Slurry product comparison guide.
Download this helpful Urethane Mortar Slurry product comparison today!